Sunday 7 February 2021

The Great Snapper rub!

Everyone I know has been out fishing recently and I've been making up and giving away a bunch of this rub as it is simply fantastic on snapper. And for that matter gurnard or pretty much any regular white fish.

I've got quite a few rubs that I use regularly so I'll start sharing some of my favourites. This one is an adaptation of one from the amazing late New Orleans chef Paul Prudhomme, the man who actually many years ago invented "blackened" dishes.

I realise that there are quite a few spices in this. That's why I love Chef Prudhomme's early recipes - he was the master of balancing a complex array of dried herbs and spices. Just make up a big jar and then rub a teaspoon on each side of any fish fillets you intend to fry, grill or BBQ. I've also used it on prawns and it's perfect for them as well. 

What I usually do is rub the fillets with this then lightly dust them in flour and fry them in butter for a few minutes each side. YUM! Of course you could add a little extra rub to the flour for a double hit of flavour.

This amount should easily do about 8 good-sized fish fillets. You could always cut down the amount of cayene but I wouldn't recommend it - the rub really isn't hot...

THE GREAT SNAPPER RUB 
  • 3 tsp cayene
  • 3 salt
  • 1 tsp ground coriander                   
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground fenugreek
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 tsp white pepper
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric         
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
 

No comments:

Post a Comment