Sunday 14 March 2021

THAT Lasagne at Sugo

SUGO 
Cuisine: Italian
Address: 19 Wharf Street, Tauranga
Phone: 07 5714138
Drinks: wine, beer, vermouth
Reservations: probably for dinner
 
I've been wanting to get back to Sugo since I last had a quick bite there because I've been really wanting to try their signature lasagne. I've thought since they opened that it is a brave move at a modern Italian restaurant to lead with such a traditional classic. Everything falls apart if you don't make a world-beating lasagne.
 
So we popped on the way home from work and had just that. The lasagne and a salad.
  • Bologna style beef cheek lasagne, bechamel, aged Parmesan, olive oil    $32
  • Rocket, Parmesan, lemon, olive oil    $12 
And I have to say the lasagne was everything you could possibly want in a lasagne. Just great. Charred on top and sloppy in the middle. Perfect housemade pasta with a sensational ragu, unctuous gelatinous bits of beef cheek in the richest of sauces and a creamy bechamel. Damn, it was good! I would go as far as to say it was probably as good a lasagne as I've ever eaten. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I've always thought Sugo made an interesting choice with their mains, going with pretty much an all-pasta line-up (there is also one risotto and one other dish). In these anti-carb times that's a real statement of foodie intent. But if all their pasta is as good as this - which I suspect it is - then this will the the place I return to whenever I get cravings for a carb fix. It really is comfort food raised to the most luxurious of heights. Kudos! 
 
Just as an aside, we couldn't help but notice that the salad had not been dressed. Both the lemon and olive oil were absent. Odd, given that's two out of only four ingredients and it wasn't at all busy. Still, the leaves and Parmesan were very pleasant.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment