Tuesday 27 October 2020

A "Breakfast" G&T

You know what it's like - some days you just feel like nothing more than a Gin & Tonic. But then you realise it's only 8.00am. 
 
Good news! Today I've got yet another of the great things you can do with gin: a "Breakfast" G&T or as it's more commonly known, a Marmalade G&T. Not to be confused with a "Breakfast" Martini...

The great thing about this is that you're, once again, likely to have all the ingredients kicking around somewhere in the kitchen. I've used a specific gin and tonic here but that's not essential. And the marmalade? Well I'm lucky that I make my own so always have a few jars around. Just use your favourite marmalade. Mine is that bitter-sweet Seville marmalade in the English style but anything is good. For the adventurous, grapefruit marmalade - which medication denies me access to - might be sensational!

It's a really easy one to make and you'll be surprised at how subtle it is. The marmalade doesn't take over and dominate, it's actually a very 3-dimensional drink. Proceed like this...

THE ORANGE MARMALADE GIN & TONIC

Ingredients

  • 40ml Gin
  • 10ml marmalade
  • 5ml fresh lemon juice
  • 120ml Fever Tree Elderflower tonic (or other tonic)
  • Orange slice to garnish

Method

  • Shake gin, marmalade and lemon juice with ice.
  • Strain into a ice cube filled glass
  • Add tonic
  • Garnish with an orange slice

There we go. I told you it was easy. It's also delicious and refreshing. I used The National Distillery Company Verdigris Dry Gin from Hawkes Bay and Fever Tree Elderflower tonic. I reckon that tonic is best with marmalade as the elderflower brings out the orange but it really doesn't matter - any tonic will make a lovely drink.   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment