Sunday 4 October 2020

Cocktails - Amarreto Sour


 I've been getting into "sours" recently.

A sour is essentially a cocktail that is a combination of spirit, citrus and sweetener. The idea is that the acid of the citrus and sweetness of the sweetener come together to balance the spirits strength and taste. The most common example I can think of is the daiquiri which does this with rum, lime juice (usually) and sugar. But there are thousands of other sours...

I was lucky enough to be given what I absolutely believe to be the Best Cocktail Book Ever by my dear brother and his partner for Christmas last year and I'm using it as a guide for my cocktail explorations. And since I accidentally bought a bottle of Amarreto a few weeks ago (it was good quality and really cheap and I can't resist a bargain despite not actually much liking the almond taste of Amarreto) I thought I'd start with the famous Amarreto Sour.

It's also one of those drinks which, if you have the Amarreto, you're likely to have all the ingredients. They are incredibly easy to make and an eye-opening revelation as far as flavour. It is simply fantastic! The lemon really seems to lift the almond and make it into a very satisfying surprisingly unique drink. 

I will be drinking a lot more of these and the two people I've since made them for have both been blown away!

AMARRETO SOUR
60ml Amarreto
30ml fresh lemon juice
7.5ml simple syrup 
1 dash Angostura bitters

Shake all the ingredients with ice, the strain into a glass containing an ice cube. 

NOTE: The "official" garnish is an orange half wheel and a cherry. Having neither I elected not to garnish.

NOTE: Simple syrup - 50/50 white sugar/water.

ANOTHER NOTE: I realise that 7.5ml is a completely shitty amount to have to add. May I suggest measuring spoons? That's 1 tsp plus 1/2 tsp. No problem. And having played around with this a few times I can confirm that exact quantities really make a difference. Of course, the easier alternative is to make two at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment