Friday 4 September 2020

Ramen at Chidori

Ramen Chidori Japanese Noodle Restaurant
Cuisine: Japanese, Ramen
Address: 130 Devonport Rd, Tauranga 
Phone: 07-579 0002
Website
Drinks: Not licensed
Reservations: Probably unnecessary at the moment

Chidori rocks. I can't think of anything I don't like about this restaurant. I find there is something very appealing about the minimalism of a ramen restaurant. Since places like Izakai at Bayfair are doing a funky Kiwi take on ramen it is obviously not obligatory to stick to tradition. But Chidori does and the result is flawless.

The restaurant itself is plain but service is always welcoming and friendly. The are two young women running it, one out front and one in the kitchen and I kinda imagine they must be sisters, but that's just a guess on my part because it would be nice if they were.

And the menu has all you would want at a ramen joint. They make three different stocks, the main Patain chicken and pork stock (simmered for many hours), a chicken stock, and a vegetable stock. There are around 8 ramen options but of course you can customise by adding any extras desired.

The menu also has various rice and donburi dishes and the usual snacks - moist juicy chicken karaage, great gyoza (dumplings), octopus balls, fried prawns and more.

But Cohen and I were here for ramen and over the past few visits have settled into our regular favourites. I really intend to have the Tokyo Soy Ramen next time but I've become hooked on their "Seasonal Special", the Kumamoto Ramen ($13.50). I assume others have too since it's now been the "Seasonal Special" for a year or so... 

It not only looks great but has a fantastic combination of ingredients - pork, bamboo shoots, red pickled ginger, spring onions, nori, black garlic oil and other stuff I'm forgetting. 

Cohen, every the spice junkie, had the Tan Tan Spicy Ramen ($14.50), which has pork mince, spring onions and more. That's what I used to go for before I discovered the black garlic oil! It is very good, not too spicy and rich and full.


As I mentioned, I find something very appealing about the minimalism of ramen, but it means there is nowhere to hide for the restaurant. You have to get the three essentials right. And here they do. 

Firstly, their stocks are flavourful but also clean and light; their noodles are perfect; and their toppings are always on point. That's all three elements nailed. And the prices are good. How can you not like somewhere that explicitly states "We aim to be one of Best Cheap Eat place in Bay of Plenty!"

The only negative thing I can say about Chidori is that when the Farmers building opposite is completed and town picks up again it's probably going to be too busy to ever get a table again. But right now it's easy and remains one of Tauranga's hidden gems..  

There are about 8 more tables but I didn't want to intrude on others' privacy by photographing them

4 comments:

  1. Wow looks fantastic - we’ll be checking this one out for lunch 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cohen and I were talking after lunch and we couldn't think of a single thing about our two bowls of ramen that wasn't absolutely perfect. I really rate them.

      Delete
  2. I plan to do a stop here tomorrow, and the Sichuan restaurant on Devonport Road for dumplings as well. We are very lucky to have such places in Tauranga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sichuan Style is great as well! As you say, we're lucky to have such places here. I worry that they won't get enough support in these troubled times and will have to close, so I'm eating out with them as often as possible. It's not really a hardship for me, and they both have some very reasonably-priced dishes!

      Delete