Tuesday 1 September 2020

Stuffing Lamb Chops

 I don't normally stuff lamb chops. It's a bit fiddly and I'm a bit lazy. But Jan's had a long week at work and she really likes these so a few minutes stuffing seemed like the least I could do. They do taste sensational!

I found some lamb loin chops on special at the supermarket and what I'm stuffing them with here is a coarse mint pesto. Obviously there are a whole bunch of things you can stuff into a chop, but this combo is really good and easy to manage. Lamb 'n' mint, what's not to like? And it has nothing melty so there's nothing oozing out as the chops cook.

The only downside here is most of the pics I took - I discover that stuffed lamb chops look exactly the same as unstuffed lamb chops. I did cut one open while we were eating to show you that there is actually something inside them!

We had these with just a salad since we're (intermittently) trying to cut back on carbs. And they were seriously YUM! 

Lamb chops stuffed with coarse mint pesto

8 lamb loin chops
A handful of pine nuts
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Olive oil
A large handful of mint leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper

1. Lightly brown the pine nuts and garlic in a heavy-based frying pan with a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. 

2. Add the mint leaves and let them wilt. It'll take less than a minute. Remove and let the mixture cool.

3. Cut a pocket into each chop through the fat layer opposite the bone. Expand the pocket slightly with spoon or finger. Then spoon enough mint pesto into each chop to fill it. This is a little fiddly but actually quite easy. Each chop takes about a minute to stuff so it's not really a big deal. Use around 1tsp of filling per chop. 

4. Season chops and grill or fry until done to your liking. Serve with anything you fancy! 

 I ran out of mint. The bloody plant died. I would suggest about twice as much as this.

   
A chop with hole. It's bigger than it looks. Use more mint in the pesto if you can.  
 


       

The cooked stuffed chops. Yep they look just like unstuffed chops.

   
YUM!

  

4 comments:

  1. Your pine-nuts look quite whole. Would you consider whizzing them in a blender?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I leave them completely whole, because I like the texture of them like that. I think the wholer (if that's a word!) and coarser the pesto the better for this one!

    ReplyDelete